A (brief) moment of clarity

So today I had lunch with Boyfriend at the EC caf, and it's Burrito Week. Our favorite week by far, although Asian Noodle Bowl Week is pretty high up on the list. I was really excited to see that today their salsa option was orange cilantro salsa. So I ordered my burrito (they're made to order during BW, I'm telling you, it's fabulous) and asked for salsa on the side. But when the guy handed me my burrito, I realized he'd put regular salsa on the side, and not the fancy orange cilantro salsa. "This is awful!" I moaned to BF. "I was sooo excited about the orange mango salsa!"

"Cilantro," he corrected.

"Whatever, I was just really excited about that part. That was the whole reason I wanted a burrito at all!" (This wasn't entirely true, since I'd been wanting a burrito since the night before, when BF announced it was Burrito Week. I'd been thinking about that burrito all morning long. I'd mapped out my topping choices in staff meeting.)

"Go back and ask for the orange kind," BF recommended calmly.

"Noooooooo. It's too late. There'll be too much salsa then, it will be like a salsa explosion on my plate." We walked over to the salad bar. I leaned against it, pouting. "What am I going to do? There's no solution!"

"I'm just so disappointed." I added, in case he wasn't getting the idea. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye, and I decided to reign it in a little. "I'll get over it in a minute, it just stinks!"

I couldn't help but look over at BF's plate, and wonder why he wasn't offering to trade burritos with me. Not that he should have offered, but it's probably no surprise to you if I admit that I'm ridiculously spoiled sometimes. (Don't worry, I wouldn't have taken it if he had offered. I'm not that awful.) Eventually I stopped whining about the salsa mishap, but I remained sullen.

After we'd been sitting down for a few minutes, I admitted that my burrito was pretty good. BF said, "See, it's better that we didn't get the orange cilantro salsa. Maybe that wouldn't have been as good."

"But you got it." I pointed out, a small amount of sulk creeping back into my voice.

"No, I didn't order it right either," BF said. "Mine has regular salsa on it too."

"Wow," I said, shocked and a little confused. "It does? But your reaction was so different than mine..."

He didn't say anything. He didn't have to. I changed the subject, just so we both weren't sitting there thinking about what a drama queen I am.

 

0 comments: