A lesson from Willy Wonka

"It doesn't have to have a reason." Charlie said, matter-of-factly. "That's why it's candy."
From Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Last week I bought Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in hardcover. Usually, I wait to borrow newly released books from the library, or exercise patience until they come out in paperback. But lately I've been questioning some of my self-imposed rules, my personal constitution that vacillates between practical and completely arbitrary. My shoulds. And I came out with this: We need more candy in life. Not to the point of excess, or gluttony. But enough to keep life fun. Because childhood is all about candy, and adulthood is all about responsibility and control. Maybe we need a little childhood in life to keep the soul alive. A hardcover novel on a Thursday night, just because.

 

0 comments: