Funneling isn't an "additional skill"

I was on the train this morning and I overheard this conversation:

Girl: "So I didn't get the pharmaceutical sales rep job."

Boy: "That sucks."

Girl: "My mom said she read an article about how pharmaceutical companies are more likely to hire people who were cheerleaders."

Boy: "That makes total sense."

Girl: "I bet if I'd put that on my resume I would have gotten the job."

What?
Who is this girl's mother? Who wrote that article?
Sure, that's what they tell you when you join cheerleading or a sorority - that it's a great addition to your resume and will really give you a leg up within the applicant pool. But no one actually puts it on their resume! (I hope.) If you were a cheerleader, all that says about you is that you can be peppy and spirited. If you were a sorority gal (and I can say these things because I was), all that says about you is that you've mastered the fake smile and are probably an easy lay. Not to mention the fact that you choose to self-segregate. Why would you advertise these things?

Generally speaking, the stigma of cheerleader and/or sorority girl are probably more damaging than helpful in most professional situations. The attributes that made you a good Greek are not as marketable once the keggers are over. Although the fake smile does still come in handy every once in a while. So it's not like you didn't learn anything. Knowing how to hold someone's hair back without getting vomit on your shoes and how to tie a cherry stem in a knot with your tongue can be helpful skill sets even well into adulthood.

 

0 comments: