The definition of "great" has varying parameters

Mine might be a little too liberal.

Last night at the SC I met with my new personal trainer. She asked me what my fitness goals are. I don't have a defined goal. I don't want to lose weight, I don't want to train for anything. I don't want to have any less body fat than I have right now. So I told her: "I've always been in great shape. So I guess I'd like to be in amazing shape. How's that for a goal?"

"Great shape to amazing shape," she repeated as she carefully wrote it down in my file.


After taking a health history and assessing my blood pressure (perfect) and resting heart rate (top notch), she led me upstairs to show me some abdominal exercises. I told her I'd love to learn some new, challenging stuff since my abs are already in prime condition. She told me she was going to teach me a routine called 10-10-10. Named so because you do 10 repetitions of each of the 3 components of the movement. She demonstrated briefly and then set me to it.

After a few painful (for me and for her) moments, she looked a little surprised.

"Huh. Um, okay. Maybe we'll need to modify a little bit for you. How about if we call this one 10-7-5? It's okay, everyone's different."

I looked at her and frowned.

"Maybe you're just tired today...?" she volunteered.

She was being very generous.

"Can I change my goal? I guess I want to go from good shape to great shape. I think I overestimated a little."

"I'll just make a note of that alteration," she offered.

How embarrassing.

Always under-promise and over-deliver. It's better for the ego.

 

1 comments:

CC :D said...

That is, in fact, what I tell everyone, especially my exboyfriend, who used to let me down in just that way.

8:29 PM