Be careful what you wish for

I advise a group of students who do health education around campus. We have meetings Tuesday nights. Sometimes my students say things that make me laugh, and sometimes they say things that make me want to go home.

"I wanna take Valtrex."

"Do you know what Valtrex is for?"

"No, but in the commercials people seem to enjoy life when they take Valtrex."

"It suppresses genital herpes outbreaks."

"Oh."

"Still wanna take it?"

"Totally."

"I'm not sure genital herpes is a whole lotta fun."

"Yeah, but I've never been kayaking. People taking Valtrex go kayaking and camping and white water rafting. If that comes along with a little genital discomfort, so be it."

"You don't even like nature."

"I like nature in theory."

"I think this might be a good time to call it a night."

First rule of advising: when you can't beat 'em, adjourn.

 

3 comments:

Deanna said...

That reminds me of a joke:

Two little boys go into the grocery store. One is nine, the other is four.

The nine year old grabs a box of tampons from the shelf and carries it to the register for check-out.

The cashier asks, "Oh these must be for your mom, huh?"

The nine year old shakes his head and replies,"Nope, not for my mom."

"Oh, they're for your sister," replied the cashier.

Nine year old: "Nope not for my sister either."

Cashier, curious now; "If they're not for your Mom and not for your sister, who are they for?"

The nine year old says. "They're for my four year old brother."

Surprised, the cashier asks, "Your little brother right here??"

The nine year old explains; "Well, yeah! They say on TV that if you wear one of these you can swim or ride a bike. And my little brother can't do either."

8:03 PM
SongBird said...

Oh, my....this was a real conversation?!! Adjournment was the only solution!

10:08 PM
Trish Ryan said...

So that's why I haven't kayaked...

2:07 PM