Waits and weights

About two weeks ago I noticed a swollen lymph node in my neck just behind my collar bone. Having enough medical background to know that swollen lymph nodes are often nothing but should nonetheless be monitored, I immediately made an appointment with our clinic just to ease my mind. I figured I'd be in and out, and foolishly had even made lunch plans for an hour later.

But far from receiving reassurances, I and my suspicious lymph node were treated with the utmost urgency and seriousness. They immediately ran a CBC and I was sent for a CT scan because, as the doctor who handled my case put it: 'we don't like unexplained bumps' and they couldn't explain this one. It was my supraclavicular lymph node, which was worrisome. Apparently it's considered a red flag when that lymph node in particular acts up. A red flag indicating possible lymphoma.

So we've been waiting for a week and half to learn the results of that CT. We found out this morning that it came back normal.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever been through a health scare, but for Hubs and I this is the first big one either of us has ever experienced. We consider ourselves in excellent health - we do all the right things and don't do all the wrong ones. But sometimes I guess none of that matters. Thankfully this isn't one of those times.

This shook us both to our core. On top of that, I started my new job two days ago. Needless to say, everyone in this household needs to catch up on some sleep now that we can breathe a little easier.

 

18 comments:

CC :D said...

You are brilliant for catching it! There are so many of us who suddenly notice these new moles and little bumps and sharp pains and then just ignore them. Good job, and again, happy it was nothing at all! :)

Now. How is your new job going!?

7:55 PM
Bob said...

Glad it wasn't anything serious. -
bob

7:57 PM
Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

So glad to hear everything is okay - I had this same lymph node removed a few years ago and biopsied because it had grown significantly for no obvious reason - definitely scary! Thankfully I also had the same "normal" result.

Hugs,
Steph

8:11 PM
shopgirl said...

Glad to hear all is well!! Phew!!

11:32 PM
Anonymous said...

Whew! So glad all is well. Kudos to you for getting it checked out in the first place though. Many people would just ignore it and hope it goes away. Hope you get a break to catch your breath!

9:05 AM
Laura said...

What a scare! I am so glad everything is okay... what a relief!

9:24 AM
JJ said...

So glad you got it checked! I felt that way with my moles recently, and Im so glad I listened to my gut...
Glad you are OK!

9:46 AM
Unknown said...

Thank God you are okay! But WHAT is it? Did they say why it was swollen? Has it gone down? Did it hurt?

11:24 AM
Jess said...

Hugs! What a relief...we were all worried! I'm so glad you noticed it right away and had it checked out just incase it was serious. I'm glad you are okay!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

11:28 AM
RBandRC said...

Very glad to hear that all came out normal! ((HUGS))

11:45 AM
Mazzy said...

That's scary. I cannot imagine the agony of waiting on something like that, I am glad everything is ok.
Hope the job is going well...
*hugs*

12:15 PM
Jessica White said...

I'm glad that all is ok, and it wasn't anything serious.

8:43 AM
Vanessa said...

What a relief to know its ok. Medical things can be scary, even though they usually turn out to be nothing.

Also, good luck at the new job!

10:23 AM
Anonymous said...

*phew* what a scare!

10:55 AM
DeeMarie said...

I'm so relieved for you. What a horrible scare!! Here's hoping for health and happiness the rest of the summer! :)

9:27 AM
Paula Keller said...

Gahhh! So scary! I'm so glad it came back negative.

I hope your new job is working out well!

7:22 PM
Bob said...

Has Elle fallen off the face of the earth?

8:28 PM
zipbagofbones said...

Hope all is well. Just checking in with ya.

2:04 PM