Not quite the Psycho shower scene... but it stays with you

On Friday night BF, TD and I went to see Notes on a Scandal. It was a good movie, beautifully acted by Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett (from whom we'd expect no less). But it was uncomfortable on so many levels. Which I'm sure the writers and directors were hoping we would pick up on, squirming in our seats one disconcerting scene after another. I won't give anything away, because I definitely suggest that you go see it for yourself. It just made me feel unsettled.

At one point in the film Judi Dench takes Cate Blanchett's hands, instructing her to close her eyes. She then begins to run her fingers up and down the inside of Cate's arms, saying it was something she and her friends used to do in boarding school when one of them was sad, because the sensation was comforting. I've often thrown my bare arm across BF's chest, the implication of that gesture being "tickle me, please." Now it gives me the heebie jeebies. I kept my sleeves rolled down all weekend.

The hallmark of a great film if ever there was one.

 

0 comments: