Just for looking

A couple of weeks ago Husband and I went to the aquarium. Just because. I love the aquarium. I feel like I could go there every weekend. It's so peaceful, and there's so much cool stuff to see! Also it was almost the site of my first date with Husband. Except that when we went there after work, we found it was closed. Then we went to McCormick and Schmick's and had fish for dinner. Which is kind of gross. While we were there we had a great bottle of wine, and I talked to Husband at length about hair product. You know, what kinds are good, which ones are too sticky, which ones smell the best. Then at the t station on the way home I tried to tell Husband the story about how once the escalator at Porter Square started going backwards and people fell off of it, but I got the giggles. So I couldn't tell it right. Plus it's not really funny to tell stories about people in danger. At least, it's not funny to tell them to people you don't know very well. It's a miracle we ended up married. Husband must have thought I was cute enough to make up for the social awkwardness.















Anyway... back to our most recent aquarium visit. We saw a jellyfish exhibit. Either we always time it just right so that we catch the jellyfish exhibit, or it's a permanent one, because I feel like every time we go it's jellyfish time. Which would be quite a coincidence. I do find jellyfish to be very interesting in a lifeless, do-nothing, blobby kind of way. But it would be better if we timed it just right and always caught the monster shark exhibit, or the giant eel exhibit, or some other exhibit that's simultaneously riveting and revolting.




















Big jellyfish, liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle jellyfish. These are the size of dimes. Wack, isn't it?




















The penguin exhibit is definitely permanent. I hate to admit it, but I don't like penguins. I know, I know, it's like saying you don't like babies, or puppies. It makes you wonder what gene you're missing that everyone else but you can see and absorb their cuteness. I fell asleep during The March of the Penguins and I won't apologize for that. I mean, thicken the plot a little, Morgan. Hit me with some character development.




















The New England Aquarium has this giant tank in the middle of it, and you walk around a spiraling assent until you get to the top. There are windows all along the tank and every time you reach a new spot you see something different. If you wait long enough, and if what you're trying to see is circling the tank, eventually it will come by. When you reach the very top you can look down into the tank. At the top we saw sea turtles and it reminded us of Hawaii. I was so nostalgic I almost felt raindrops. And then I almost felt a downpour. And then I almost felt hurricane-like winds... well, you get the idea.




















The stingrays were also hanging out at the top. They seemed to travel in pairs. Makes sense. Less boring.















This really cool fish is now my screensaver. I forget what it's called or what it does.















But you can't touch it.

 

0 comments: