Reprioritizing

It's Saturday and I'm at work. I've been thinking lately, about work. About the baby and work. And about my career aspirations. I think I'm going to focus on trying to get a work-from-home slot before this kid is born. I'd been thinking another route - promotion. The two are sort of mutually exclusive. But lately I've been starting to think about how nice it would be to not have the hassle of going to work, even though I'd still of course have the hassle of doing work. I could drop the baby off at daycare in the morning and go pick the baby up at daycare after work and not have any nightmarish commute in between. One of the daycares we're looking at is less than 2 miles from our house - I could stop in on my lunch break. And it'd be nice not to worry about showering and dressing for work. To be able to start a load of laundry in between client calls. Or empty the dishwasher. Or mail something.

I'd really miss the people. I like socializing at work - I always have enjoyed forming relationships with coworkers. I have several friends here and many acquaintances, and I'd miss seeing their faces. But I think in the grand scheme of things, the tradeoffs might be worth it. I thought I'd need to get out of the house, to never lose this part of myself that makes me feel fulfilled. Not just the work, the going to work. But lately I've been exhausted, and that's without our latest addition doing much other than making it harder for me to squeeze into my dress pants. Once the baby is here, our lives will be so hectic if nothing changes. And I don't like hectic. I like calm, and I'm thinking working from home might offer me my best shot at claiming a little slice of sanity.

Now... to snag a work-from-home slot. I need to start getting ruthless. The gloves'll have to come off for this one.

 

4 comments:

calicobebop said...

Best of luck to you! Working from home would be a real coup!

5:35 PM
~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I actually think you'd like the working from home. Life is going to be busy when the baby gets here! I know that my SIL made a whole new slew of friends when she quit working to take care of their baby. So there's always that possibility too so long as your finances allow it! Best of Luck!

5:57 PM
Jessica White said...

Good luck! Hopefully you're able to snag the promotion :-)

(I go in on monday to tell work I'm not coming back).

6:26 PM
shopgirl said...

Go for it girl!!! Good luck!!

11:05 PM