A crash course in neurology

I just got back from a long weekend road trip to Missouri because Mookie (my dad) is in the hospital after suffering a stroke in his cerebellum, which caused severe vertigo and affected his balance center. We're expecting a full recovery, and hoping he'll be back to his history-professing, race-car-driving, motorcycle-riding self within a few weeks.

Talk about a shocker though - I don't know anyone in better health than Mookie (or so we assumed!) - he's still young, eats a healthy diet, has been exercising religiously for decades, and is a very active guy! If ever there was someone you figured would gracefully sidestep a stroke... Regardless, it's been a seriously crap week for him. And for me: there's nothing worse than seeing someone you love in the hospital. He's on his way to a reputable rehab program and was in very good spirits but despite all that, it was difficult to leave this morning.

Tomorrow I start my new part time job as a nanny to an adorable four month old baby boy and I've hopefully landed an interview for a full time position in my actual field of expertise (I know - you'd totally forgotten I even have one of those, hadn't you?)! I came home to a message on the voicemail. Other than that I'm exhausted, stressed, battling allergies, and up to my eyeballs in hormones. Anyone wanna trade?

 

15 comments:

RBandRC said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry there is so much craziness going on right now. Hoping that Mookie has a (continued) speedy recovery and that things settle down soon! ((HUGS))

7:43 PM
just jamie said...

Hope your dad is better soon. Your nanny job sounds wonderful. Good luck with it!

7:59 PM
Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your dad. I hope he has a speeedy complete recovery.

Wow. A nanny? I did that once with a boy who was 8 months, and a girl that was 4. I fell so love with those kids. Good luck!

8:09 PM
Anonymous said...

So glad your dad is feeling better! That is so much stress in itself! Sounds like you're busy busy. Good luck with the new job, and I have my fingers crossed that the full time position works out!

8:56 PM
CC :D said...

oh no! i hope your dad gets better STAT! also - good vibes and good wishes for the work front. did you put a water treatment by the entrance of your house! fengshui that puppy. :)

8:59 PM
patty said...

I hope your father recovers soon, will command the best wishes from across the world....

9:22 PM
Melissa said...

Gosh, I hope your Mookie feels better soon!! As a card-carrying daddy's girl, there is NOTHING that messes up my world like something messing with my dad. It's awesome that you got to go and be with him, and also awesome that he's on his way to a great rehab center. He's a healthy man, and will make a speedy recovery. :o)
Good luck with the 4-month old! It's a fun age -- giggling, rolling over, sitting up in the Bumbo chair, swatting at toys in the play-mat-gym-thingy, chattering...sweet times. Enjoy!! And good luck with the full-time job, too. When it rains, it pours, eh?

10:42 PM
Anonymous said...

Sorry about your dad's stroke.
Glad he's expected to make a full recovery.

Hang in there.

7:17 AM
seussgirl said...

I'm so sorry about your dad! I had to watch my dad recuperate from open-heart surgery a couple of years ago, and I know how hard it is to see them like that. I wish him a full/quick recovery!

And yey for the part-time job and possible full-time job!

7:21 AM
calicobebop said...

Whew! I feel for you - you have so much going on right now! I hope things start to perk up soon. Best wishes to your dad!

9:43 AM
Laura said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I am really glad that he is on the mend and doing better though. Thats crazy you were just in Missouri. Thats where I live (right outside St. Louis). The nanny job sounds great! And Good luck with the full time position you are hoping for... I hope you get it!

10:00 AM
DeeMarie said...

Sending prayers that your dad makes a complete and total recovery.
Good luck on the interview!!!!!!!

11:36 AM
Anonymous said...

Wishing your dad a speedy recovery.

1:11 PM
Unknown said...

hope your dad gets through everything okay!

4:40 PM
Bob said...

up to your eyeballs in hormones...NO, I don't wanna trade!

11:23 PM