Displaced frustration

Okay, so I need to talk about the spot on the carpet. I know, I know, it's getting really ridiculous. I totally agree. But the thing is, the carpet is sort of permanent, at least for the time being. If the spot doesn't come out, what then? And the most vexing thing is that everything we do seems immediately to make it better and then later to make it worse. And it takes days to dry each time we treat it, so it's almost impossible to tell for ages.

Hubs is about ready to toss a throw rug over it and be done with my obsessiveness. It's like I have to look at it one hundred times a day. Last night when I came home from the gym Hubs met me at the garage door and reached out to hug me - I sort of maneuvered myself in his arms but he kept twisting me away from the laundry room door, from which I'd have a clear view of the living room carpet. "Want..... errrr..... to...... grmph..... see it!" He held on tight. "It's no different than it was when you left, Bug!" "But..... please..... oooph...... let me see.... it!" Finally he let go and I peeked through the doorway. I threw my arms up in the air. "WHY doesn't it look any better!" He sighed. "Husband who loves you. Right here. With open arms and kisses just for you." I sighed. "I know, and I love you too, but LOOK AT THAT STUPID SPOT!"

Here's the thing: this weekend we got the Little Green Steam Machine (thanks Jenny, fabulous idea - LOVE IT!) and treated the spot in the study (which is now gone, YAY!) and the spot in the living room. The spot in the living room is no longer dingy dirt, now it almost looks like it has too much carpet cleaner stuck in it. Which is how it was looking before the LGSM, it started to look like that after we used the Resolve on it. It's sort of... a darker version of the rug itself. Any ideas, anyone? It's possible it's still just wet... but unlikely that just wet could cause that big of a color distortion.

This is one of those times where clearly the issue is not the spot on the carpet, but the issue is totally the spot on the carpet.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Spot Shot? I think that's what it's called. But you have to get the blue and orange can, not the yellow (foaming) can. It seriously works so well we have to use it sparingly because it makes the area we clean lighter than the surrounding (dingy) carpet. So we end up having clean spots instead of dirty spots.

2:59 PM
Jenny said...

Hmmm... a challenge... is it an oily stain?

I would say try try again... I dropped one of those bright red gel air freshners on my light tan couch.. well, technically my three year old did and I didn't notice for a day or so... When I did, there was a big greasy stain.. It took me about an hour of going over it again and again, first with the rotating brush and then with the other because I think it has better suction but I got it.. you'd never know it was there..

3:15 PM
CC :D said...

try oxyclean. that guy with the beard sells it on tv. I found it one day YEARS ago, I can't even remember where. Canadian Tire or Zellers probably (aka Target for you)... anyway, I'm still using the same container, only a little bit at a time. So awesome.

11:02 AM
Bob said...

Personally, I'd put a potted plant over it. But then, that would reflect the poll I took on my blog. Men are simple, want things simple and make things simple. Women, well, women are the opposite.--bob

12:30 PM
Kelli said...

Okay, I feel bad about your spot but I have to tell you, this post cracks me up every time I read it. My boyfriend can relate to your husband's open arms to the distracted girl. I can relate to the spot obsession.

This morning my cat found a scorpion on the rug.

I'd rather have a spot.

3:39 PM