Guinea pig down

Last night Hero ate a zucchini fry as I was taking them off the baking sheet - it flipped off onto the floor and he'd swallowed it before I even knew what had happened. Hubs, who had been looking dubiously at the zucchini fries since they'd come out of the oven, watched him for a second, then said, "Is that okay?"

I sighed, tired from a day alone with the puppy. "I'm sure it's fine."

A second later, Hero threw up the zucchini fry. Hubs looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "And he's got a stomach of steal. Does that mean we don't have to eat them now?"

Wordlessly, I carried our plates the table and set them down with a little more ooomph than was probably necessary. Hubs, wise beyond his years, took his place, picked up his fork, and said, "Mmmmm! Looks great! So, uh, creative. With the vegetable." We both ignored the sound of Hero continuing to gag in the background.

Hubs continued, "I mean, zucchini is hard to dress up. But this, this looks, you know, not at all like zucchini normally looks..."

I slowly raised one hand, the international sign for silence. "Just please call for a pizza while I clean up after the dog."

You can't always be on your A game. You just really can't.

 

9 comments:

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Too funny! Sorry that didn't work out for you. But it makes a great story.

3:26 PM
DeeMarie said...

Zucchini fries sound tasty to me!! Of course so does pizza. I should so not be thinking of eating after our Food Day!!

4:09 PM
Anonymous said...

I'm digging the pizza idea. But that's just because I'm not a zucchini fan - not because the dog puked. I'm sure that if zucchini fries are capable of being delicious, yours were.

And it does make for one hell of a funny story.

4:16 PM
Kelli said...

Haha I needed that laugh at the dead hour of 2 on a workday. Too funny.

4:24 PM
Bob said...

Yeah, we all have those days when things don't go right. "The best laid plans of mice and men..." Same goes for the chef in the kitchen. Can't win 'em all.

5:08 PM
xxxx said...

Awww ... ha ha ha. I hope the pizza was good :)

6:19 PM
~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

I like zucchini fries a lot.

Sorry that didn't work out. Your Husband is much nicer than my first two ever were.

9:39 PM
CC :D said...

i don't get it. how did the zucchini fries not work? They're zucchini sticks, right?

try breading and baking them. they actually work best if you bread/bake, cool, and then rebake again later.

9:10 AM
Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Oh hon, I'm sorry your zucchini fries didn't turn out (or did you try them? maybe the dog already had a tummy ache?)

On the upside, I love your new blog design! I took a bit of a break from the computer over the weekend, and look what I missed! ;)

7:13 PM