Please listen more carefully next time

Yesterday we saw Hubs' brother P for lunch. We went to Minnehaha Falls. It's a park with waterfalls and rocks and a cute little seafood shack. It was fun. You order inside and then they come outside with your food and call your name and you raise your hand to let them know where you're at.

After we'd finished eating and our table had been cleared, we got on the topic of religion. I was commenting that I wanted to find a new church, but not my IL's church. I find their church to be a) Catholic and b) weird. I was talking about how they project the modernized, funked-up hyms on the wall and people dance around and clap and sing. Hubs shared how they also do bizarre hand raises for blessings and things. Just as a food order was being called out for 'Tim', he demonstrated. I pitched in, to help P get the effect (which is a little spooky - the entire congregation throws their right arm in the air like a Nazi salute). P, not wanting to be left out, threw his arm up as well. The waiter approached and started setting down food.

"Oh, that's not ours," I let him know.

"This isn't your food? Aren't you guys 'Tim?'"

"No," I shook my head, at first not getting why he thought we were 'Tim'. As it dawned on me what had happened, a smile played on my lips. "Oh, no, oops. We're not 'Tim.'"

He looked confused and a little bit put out. "But you raised your hands?"

I clarified. "We weren't raising our hands for 'Tim.' We were raising our hands for Jesus."

He shook his head in annoyance, picked up the food, and turned, enunciating as clearly as possible this time. "Tiiiiiiiiimmmmm? Food for Tiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmm?"

 

6 comments:

xxxx said...

We were raising our hands for Jesus! HA HA HA HA.

2:27 PM
Kelli said...

Raising your hands for Jesus...haha That's great!!

What did you decide on the large-print book?

Isn't the fair awesome? I went when I lived in Utah and everyone at the fair (who no doubt had been going to the fair their entire lives) seemed amazed and more than a little amused that I was there to PET all of the cows, pigs, horses, rabbits, etc. I'm glad to see I'm not the only petter at a fair. :)

8:22 PM
Bob said...

You are toooo funny!

9:31 PM
Scotty said...

Thank you or the laugh :)

10:57 PM
mighty shifty said...

praise tim.

8:39 AM
Anonymous said...

I just snorted. That was hilarious!

4:48 PM