The Grinch can keep Christmas. This year, I don't even want it back.

This season it's been really hard for me to get into the holiday spirit. For so many reasons. It's been a tough few months for us, and we're a bit worn down from it. Hubs and I've been trying to support one another through this rough time, so that's helped a lot. But alas, I'm not feeling the Merry in the good ol' Merry Christmas. At all. And this week there's no hiding from the holidays.

Wednesday kicks off our Christmas celebration with dinner and presents at the ILs followed by Midnight Mass. Then Christmas day we'll attend the extended family party, which should be fun but will also be A LOT of people. I genuinely like Hubs' extended family, but it's never easy to smile and act happy when, after all is said and done, it's only an act. Friday we're hosting a get-together with all of Hubs' high school friends, some of whom are only in town for a short time, and that should be a little more easy going. We've decided on a themed event: a wine tasting party with everyone bringing a bottle of their favorite wine. That way, I easily slip right through the hosting loop hole by only serving appetizers :)

On New Year's Day Hubs leaves for Las Vegas for his final (most likely) bachelor party. The last of his single buds is getting hitched this summer, so the guys need to send him off in style. I'm not sure what Hero and I'll be doing that weekend, but suffice it to say it'll involve a lot of girl stuff.

What? What? He's neutered. He doesn't care. He likes the Lifetime channel.

Happy holidays, everyone!!!

 

10 comments:

zipbagofbones said...

I'm with you, I'd be happy to go to sleep tonight and wake up January 2nd. Someone else can have my holiday this year. I should put it out on the steet with a "free" sign. Hope yours is leagues better than you're expecting!

2:52 PM
Christine Slay said...

We will be spending Christmas unpacking boxes from the move and drinking a lot of wine (well at least I will be doing a lot of drinking). No family or friends here but I am sure we will venture to the dog park that day! Wishing you cheer Elle. The new year is around the corner and with it new hope and events!

3:10 PM
Mazzy said...

I am a total Scrooge this year. We aren't doing presents (which I am completely fine with) and I am honestly just miserable on so many levels right now. Smack me, I am the biggest whiner ever. I really am.
But I am sharing your sentiments this holiday season. I hope you can have enough wine to buzz the beauty of the holidays in to your spirit. ;) Drink one for me, too?
*hugs*

3:26 PM
Anonymous said...

Ha - I thought you meant hubs was having a bachelor party for HIMSELF. I'm like wow girl, you're brave!! :)

Merry Christmas, I hope you have a great week. You're not alone in your scrooge-ness, I promise.

4:41 PM
RBandRC said...

The holidays are ROUGH. I think what makes it all so much harder is that you are "required" to be festive and if you aren't then you're just a miserable human being. It's just way too much pressure. And then to have to do it once a year. Ugh. I'm with you. ((HUGS))

7:27 PM
Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Oh! I hope you enjoy anyway, and manage to get into the spirit. Afterall, even the Grinch did. It's so hard when you've had a bad year to be thankful... we, are also glad to see the end of 2008, and we're hoping for a happier, HEALTHIER, 2009. I really wish you a happy holiday. My little dog, Brooklyn is making ours happier!

10:10 PM
Bob said...

You are so funny Laura. Don't stop being yourself and I'll just learn to handle the "girly " things in your blog. I just like to give you a hard time.

10:15 PM
DeeMarie said...

I think there are a lot of us struggling with getting into Christmas this year. I'm hosting Christmas Eve at my place tomorrow and I haven't prepared a thing... I'm so there on the Lifetime weekend though!!

7:02 AM
shopgirl said...

Hey girlie - keep your chin up! Enjoy your family (as best as anyone can - hee hee!) Forget about the econ for a bit - and have fun. And for the Lifetime weekend - woo hoo! I'm with ya - it's going to be cold and you have that AWESOME fluffy pup-a-doodle to snuggle with! I may just be a bit jealous!!

PS - if you're in a "down" mood - I can't wait to see your "up" mood - you my dear, are HILARIOUS!!

8:25 AM
MommaMonkey said...

You never know...it being in the midst of it all might lift your Christmas Spirits a little more!

Enjoy the friends and family, and remember that's what it is all about. Merry Christmas!

2:01 PM