Some random updates on McLife

  • Last night we went and picked out a new washing machine. I couldn't be without one for very long, because I love clean clothes and laundry. Although probably not more than most women I know who went a period in their early twenties without a washer/dryer in house and had to frequent the laundry matt. I think that stays with you, so that when you outgrow that phase in your life you're never willing to go back.
  • Today I took Hero to the dog park in 3 degree weather. I actually didn't get as cold as I thought I would because since I was convinced I might die out there halfway through the loop and be found this weekend by park patrol, I made a concerted effort to run and play with Hero so that my body temperature would rise. Which meant I lived to see the car again, and we had a blast. Win-win.
  • Tonight I'm going to a social at Hubs' boss' house. All of the men Hubs supervises will be there, including many monks, the previous president of the college, and the current VP. Hubs has an odd supervisory role where he's evaluating men who in some respects hold much higher positions than he does. Talk about nerve wracking. Anyway, they're a very fun crowd and I'm looking forward to it. We've also heard many times over that Hubs' boss' house is gorgeous, so I'm excited to finally see it. I'm not excited to get out of my sweats and apply makeup, but that's the price you pay.
  • I feel like we have a busy weekend ahead (which is how I feel pretty much every weekend). We have Hero's puppy class on Saturday and then also have a Christmas party with our closest sets of friends. Sunday we're going to the orchestra with Hubs' parents and brother and then going out to dinner. In between all that, my goals include cleaning out the garage, a project on which we've made some serious headway the past week or so. We finally listed an entertainment center and boat-shaped sandbox on Craigslist, so were able to get rid of those. Now we still have a dining room table that belongs to Hubs' parents, an old filing cabinet and chandelier that need to go to the dump, and a coffee table we might put in the family room once we fix its broken leg. My goal is to have all major obstacles cleared from the garage asap, which means we need to deliver that table back to Hubs' parents and take the filing cabinet and chandelier to the dump. Then, we're free to organize the garage like crazy! YES! My dream is to have the kind of garage we often noticed on our walks through the neighborhood this summer: the kind that made us go "ooooooo" when the door opened and we voyeristically peered inside and glimpsed the immaculate organizational structure. Hubs just kinda went "huh" but I drooled and always said pointedly, "that's how I want ours to look!" I don't think Hubs shares my need for a garage that's as clean and orderly as the inside of the house, but I for one want our bikes suspended on racks and our tools easily grabbed from labeled drawers.
  • Everyone's comments on the temp thing were SO supportive and helpful you have no idea - so thanks for sharing all your good experiences and making that step a lot less scary! I was so relieved to read how some of you have found good jobs that way, or have a friend or family member who lucked out in their assignment.

That's it for now, no exciting updates as of yet so keep sending positive vibes my way if you've got 'em to spare! And have a great start to the weekend!

P.S. I promise to catch up on my blog reads this weekend! :)

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for a clean garage! We got rid of two things (a CD player (hello 1998) and an old desk) just tonight via craigslist. Love that website...

7:34 PM
AwkwardMoments said...

Have a great weekend! My sister and i have bothhad tempt jobs and networked quite well. Hoping the same for you

8:11 PM
Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear you survived the three degree weather. Movement is the key. I like organization in moderation. If someone is willing to do it for me though...

8:12 PM
Grad3 said...

I have garage envy too :)

8:25 PM
Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Hey there. Sounds like you're super busy. good luck with temping that sounds like it can be really good for you. Keep us posted.

I completely understand going to the boss' house can be intimidating, I've done it many times, but it's also fun and interesting. Enjoy!

We've got a crazy weekend too. Our Christmas with Munchkin starts this weekend, and I've got J's family coming over tomorrow! Craziness!

By the way! I've also been able to post my first bloggy giveaway!! I'm so excited, and would love it if you checked it out!

9:06 PM
Danifred said...

Three degrees!?! Wow, you are one dedicated momma! Have a wonderful weekend and I'm sending all my extra positive fairy dust your way.

6:01 AM
RBandRC said...

Sending lots of positive thoughts your way! :)

8:31 AM
CC :D said...

maybe you could ebay all that stuff you don't want/need anymore. maybe avocado slicers are a collectors item in martha stewart's set?

good luck and good vibes to you :)

8:38 AM
HeatherPride said...

So glad that you don't have to re-live your laundry mat days! I had to do that when I moved out to California and it was a really weird feeling. You're brave to tackle the dog park in 3 degree weather!

1:15 PM
zipbagofbones said...

I hear you on the garage thing. I used to vacuum the floor out there - it was too big to sweep properly, plus then you don't get the gunk out of the cracks. Anyway, hope you had a great weekend!

9:00 AM