Spin Cycle: Use your words

I'm going to try to join in on the Spin Cycle thing. I think I finally understand how to do it. The topic for this week is anger management. So I'm going to write about Hero. Because he and I both need to manage our anger sometimes when we're home together all day long.

The thing that upsets me most about Hero is that sometimes he seems to do things as if he's trying to push my buttons.

One thing that always drives me crazy is when he rings his "out" bell 9,000 times when he's trying to tell me he wants to go out. His bell hangs on the back doorknob. All he has to do is hit it with his paw and I let him out. Every time. Because I want him to get comfortable using it so he never, ever, ever, ever pees in my house. But for some reason, he thinks I'm either deaf, forgetful, or completely stupid.

On a typical day, it goes like this. I'm folding the laundry, and Hero decides he wants to go outside. He's just been outside, so I know he wants to bark at something rather than do any serious business.

Jangle, jangle, jangle

"Okay, Hero, mommy just needs to finish folding this laundry and then I'll come and open the door."

Jangle, jangle, jangle

"I'm coming, Hero. Just a few more shirts and I'll be at your beck and call."

Jangle, jangle, jangle

"Here I come, just..."

JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE

"...hang on ONE SECOND..."

JANGLE JANGLE JANGLE JANGLE JANGLE JANGLE

"Hero, please hang on because when you ring that bell it makes mommy want to shoot herself..."

JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE, JANGLE

"HERO MOMMY'S COMING AS FAST AS SHE CAN FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS DECENT IN THIS WORLD!"

Then I let him out and spend the rest of the day feeling awful for getting all worked up. And feeling rightfully disgraced for referring to myself in the third person.

Hero has his own anger management tales about how I piss him off but I promised he could put his two cents into the next Spin Cycle. Hopefully the topic for that one will be "Why I love my fabulous owners."

 

15 comments:

~The South Dakota Cowgirl~ said...

Dogs aren't human. They don't share the same emotional outlets that we do.

He'll figure it out eventually. Isn't he just a pup?

4:37 PM
steenky bee said...

He's one smart dog. He's trying to Pavlov train you! I loved this.

Your site is just killing me. I love your design.

5:29 PM
RBandRC said...

This is a great post! I swear I have that same conversation with Lemy. Just substitute the bell for ear-piercing baby screams. I might actually prefer the bell. :P

5:32 PM
DeeMarie said...

I can't wait to hear Hero's point of view, "I'm so shredding whatever that is in her hand if she doesn't come open this door!!"

Welcome to the Spin Cycle!!
P.S. Make sure you comment to Sprite Keeper's blog that you put out a Spin so she can add you to her link list! :)

6:29 PM
Anonymous said...

Awesome spin! I WISH my dogs would ring a bell when they want to go out. My beagle just sits and stares at me which kind of makes me uncomfortable and my terrier just barks at me. Demanding. Welcome to the Spin Cycle and I hope you play again! You're linked! (If not for the holiday today, I would have had you linked sooner!)

7:06 PM
Bob said...

Yep..I agree with jenboglass' comment...Hero is training YOU, like Pavlov! Something's wrong with THAT picture! ha ha ha

7:43 PM
Bob said...

oh, and uh...my last name is glass...i wonder..??

7:44 PM
Grad3 said...

Hahahaha... I can sooo relate! I can it all happening perfectly in my mind :)

8:05 PM
AwkwardMoments said...

Hahahah poor Mom ... Hero is expressing his lovely personality ;)

and impatience

8:23 PM
Anonymous said...

I totally understand your frustration, but he's just doing what he thinks you want him to do. I mean it's awesome he has a bell to ring - Zoe just paws the paint off the back door - but you've taught him "ring the bell, I open the door", "ring the bell, open the door". So when he rings the bell and you don't open the door, he thinks the message didn't get across so he keeps doing it over and over ad naseum. Dogs have a really bad sense of time, and if trained well they're just trying to please us.

Wow, that was a lot of assvice. I totally understand your frustration, I swear. I wish dogs had a better sense of understanding than they do. Hang in there, it gets better. :)

8:30 PM
Supervised Mama said...

That is so funny, that would make me nuts!!! So glad you joined the spin!

I love, love, love your site design!!

9:21 PM
Anonymous said...

That's enough to drive anyone insane. We have two dogs who have slowly moved down the totem pole as our two children arrived. The one dog paces around the house all day and will sit next to me and LICK LICK LICK, it's the most annoying sound when I've finally gotten the kids to nap and have a minute to myself. Then we have the revolving dog door, neither of them want to be out at the same time so I'm always letting someone out or in. I can totally relate, great first spin!

11:10 PM
Kelli said...

*snicker* I know my boss is sitting over there wondering why I'm tittering over the maintenance manual he thinks I'm working on. ;)

Too funny. My cat knows how to push my buttons....he's smart like Hero. I love the bell idea!

9:56 AM
Anonymous said...

Wow! He rings a bell. My dogs just scratch at the sliders, just as persistently though, and it does drive me bananas if I can't get there fast enough.

11:03 AM
HeatherPride said...

Wow, I never thought about a bell before! My dog just paces back and forth from the door to me, door to me, door to me...until I freak out too!

12:17 PM